Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Closed Minds

Last night in a conversation with my sister I mentioned how some people are closed minded. I wasn't referring to her or indeed any specific individual. Immediately I put the phone down I started worrying whether that is how I come across when I speak to someone who doesn't share my own deeply held beliefs.

I usually make a conscious effort when discussing Islam to say 'I believe such&such' or 'Muslims believe this...', and if discussing Christianity with a Christian I would prefer to say, for example, 'the doctrine of original sin, and the blood sacrifice of a sinless, perfect man being necessary for the salvation of the human race..... does not make sense to me, and seems unjust and illogical'; rather than '....is a load of baloney' which might seem like a knife in their heart, and cause either pain or anger if they are fervent believers in that doctrine.

However I have come across people who become very confrontational and completely stonewall you when you simply want to have an exchange of views ("YOU may believe that but THIS is the truth....). We all have to accept that our dearest, most cherished and passionately held beliefs may simply not make any sense to someone else, and be prepared not to back down or deny our faith, but allow that the other person has a right to their beliefs.

As the qur'an puts it (interpretation of meaning):

'To me my beliefs (or way of life), and to you yours." 109:6

And that's what we are commanded to say to the Kafiroon - or 'those who deny/conceal the truth'. Not fight them, which is a commonly held misconception, or even shout angrily at them. As regards those who are not denying or concealing the truth, but have not had 'the truth' presented to them in the proper way, we should speak to them, God commanded us, with 'beautiful words'.

No comments: